Prague 1, Politickych veznu 7, 2nd floor, room No. 7
Workshop A: Identifying and Preserving Audio Formats: An Introduction (in English)
This workshop will be led by Will Prentice.
In this thorough introduction to the preservation of sound archives, we will cover the following areas:
- The basic history of audio recording technology, covering all common formats
- How sound is represented visually
- An introduction to the technical principles underlying different formats, and why this is important
- Identification of different formats and their pertinent characteristics, from a preservation perspective
- Practical, hands-on guidance in how best to handle and care for audio carriers, including examples for attendees to handle themselves
- An introduction to preservation planning and strategy, in particular digitisation for preservation.
This workshop aims to demystify essential concepts in caring for sound collections. As such it is aimed at any archivist with responsibility for caring for audio.
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Prague 1, Narodni 3, 2nd floor, room No. 206
Workshop B: Search Skills Beyond Google (in English)
This workshop will be led by Marydee Ojala.
Is there anything new under the web search sun? Isn’t everyone an expert searcher by now? Whether librarians like it or not, the web is frequently the starting place for research. Thus, information professionals must be knowledgeable about changes in web search engines.
This workshop looks at advanced search techniques, evaluation of search engines, social media search, and analysis of search results. It introduces valuable sites for researching health, business, science, and news; investigates techniques for non-textual searching; and explains search technologies that underpin search engines. Privacy, ethics, and assessment issues are particularly critical as information professionals confront a “post-truth” world. What is an authoritative source? Who is the person writing about a topic? Are fake people infiltrating search results and social media? What role does the dark web play?
Learn how changes in search affect your working life. Acquire skills that enable you to get more from searching the web and plumbing the depths of the deep web. Go beyond Google for both searching and teaching. Tips for power searchers enhance information professionals' use of web search tools and compare them to traditional library eresources. Refresh your search skills, take valuable information back to your office, and be ahead of the curve by attending this workshop.