Příspěvek: Workshop A: Identifying and Preserving Audio Formats: An Introduction
Documents to download
This workshop will be led by Will Prentice.
In this thorough introduction to the preservation of sound archives, we will cover the following areas:
- The basic history of audio recording technology, covering all common formats
- How sound is represented visually
- An introduction to the technical principles underlying different formats, and why this is important
- Identification of different formats and their pertinent characteristics, from a preservation perspective
- Practical, hands-on guidance in how best to handle and care for audio carriers, including examples for attendees to handle themselves
- An introduction to preservation planning and strategy, in particular digitisation for preservation.
This workshop aims to demystify essential concepts in caring for sound collections. As such it is aimed at any archivist with responsibility for caring for audio. _LOGO_BLOCK_ The workshop is organized in cooperation with CERGE-EI, National Museum and National Library of Technology.
He is Vice Chair of the International Association of Sound & Audiovisual Archives (IASA) Training & Education Committee, and a member of the IASA Technical Committee, for whom he recently co-edited the recently republished The Safeguarding of the Audiovisual Heritage: Ethics, Principles & Preservation Strategy (2017), aka IASA-TC 03.